Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hi! So here we have chapter 7! This chapter has put me through some grief.... Last night I was tired and wasn't really excited about writing this until I remembered that this was supposed to be the chapter where we went and met Yumi. Yumi is my all time favorite Nancy Drew character so, of course, I was really excited then!!! What happened you ask? As I was playing the game (I play the game and write the story based on what happens as I play), I walk downstairs to go see Yumi and something happens with Miwako! ugh... oh well. It's still a good chapter so enjoy it and come back tomorrow to read what is going to be an AWESOME chapter!!! =D


Chapter 7
            
            I walked downstairs and was heading to the front desk to tell Miwako what happened last night when I heard voices. I should probably listen in, I thought.
            
            “The strange sounds, and the pounding, and the screaming at all hours of the night – waking up my family, scaring the children half to death. If you ask me this ryokan needs to be closed down immediately!” shouted one of the guests. She looked a lot like Helena from my case in Italy… must have just been a coincidence.

            “I’m very sorry,” said Miwako.

“Sorry changes nothing! This is unacceptable! I want my money back, and I want a car sent immediately to take us… anywhere else!” said the guest as she walked away.
            
            Poor Miwako… I decided to go and talk to her.
            
            “Oh, hello Nancy-san,” she greeted me politely.
            
            “That guest seemed pretty upset,” I noted.
            
            “Oh, it’s nothing to worry about. Trust me. I see a lot at this desk, and one thing never changes: travel is disorienting.  It’s so easy to get upset when you’re far away from home. That’s why we try to make things as comfortable as possible,” she told me.
            
            I got the feeling that trying to make Miwako feel better would only make things worse…
            
            “I tore one of the screens in my room, I’m really sorry,” I told her.
            
            “Do not worry, Nancy-san. This happens often. Very easy to fix, just a little steam to soften the glue. I’ll have Rentaro take care of it immediately.”
            
            “Great, thanks,” I said, relieved, “ When I tore the screen, I thought I saw somebody on my balcony.”
            
            “Right, it’s nothing to worry about. The screens really distort things sometimes. I’m sure it was just your imagination,” she said. She sounded like she was trying to reassure herself more than me…
            
           “Maybe your right.”
           
           “I’m sure of it. There’s nothing to worry about.”
           
            I decided that since I was there I would ask Miwako a few questions.
            
            “What has been scaring the guests away?”
            
            “Oh, nothing. They’re not scared… it’s something else. Can I help you with anything?”
            
            “What is a ryokan?”
            
            “A ryokan is almost exactly like a hotel or spa – but far more traditional. This ryokan has been in my family for generations. Passed down from mother to oldest daughter in order to preserve the tradition style, the food, and the caretaking. Every little detail is as it would have been generations ago,” She told me.
            
            “How long has the ryokan been in your family?”
            
            “A very long time, my grandmother says it has been passed down since the early 1700’s.”
            
           
           “So one day you’ll pass this place on to your daughter? That must be very nice.”
           
           “Well… I’m the younger daughter. My older sister Yumi will be the one to take over the ryokan.”
           
            “Oh,” I said, feeling kind of bad for mentioning it, it obviously made her sad.
            
           “My grandmother is offering a few classes in traditional arts. She’s in room 18 at the end of the hall.”
            
            “I met Rentaro, who is he exactly?”
            
            “Oh, Rentaro, he’s my boyfriend. He’s also handyman around here.”
            
            “Have you two been dating long?”
            
            “I’m sorry, I really should get back to my paperwork. But if you have any questions about the ryokan, please don’t hesitate to ask,” She told me, apparently I had hit a nerve.
            
            We both said goodbye and I left. I hadn’t gotten very much from that conversation but I did learn a little bit about Yumi. I planned on going to meet Yumi next. After hearing what she was like from Bess and George, I couldn’t wait to meet her!

Since this weeks chapter was a mistake I thought I would finally throw this pic out there, even thought this chapter wasn't funny... *crickets* 


No comments:

Post a Comment