Saturday, January 21, 2012

Here's chapter 2 of Nancy Drew Shadow at the Water's Edge!!! This chapter is the intro followed by a long conversation with Miwako. I don't have very much practice with dialogue but I tried my best! Enjoy!!! =D


Chapter 2
            I approached the Ryokan slowly. It really was gorgeous, I just couldn’t focus on it. I was very nervous and I’m sure that’s what made those lights look so dim, those beautiful plants look so uninviting.
            As I walked inside the first thing that caught my eye was a painting of a beautiful woman. I’ll have to ask about it, I thought.
            I turned to the two women at the front desk. They both bowed politely. One was very young with short black hair and the other was much older with gray hair up in a neat bun. The younger one’s Grandmother, I guessed.
            
           “Hi, I have a reservation under Nancy Drew.”
           
            Suddenly that painting that I had seen coming in started shaking violently! It fell to the floor and the glass cover shattered. The two women and I all gasped in surprise!
            
            “Do you believe me now?” The older woman whispered to other.
            
            “Obaasan, it only fell.” replied the girl.
           
            “It did not! You know better!” said the elderly woman, now nearing a shout.
            
             The other girl turned to me with a strained look on her face and said, “I’m very sorry. She- she’s just a little upset.”
            
             The elderly woman then told her, “She does not want her here. Tell her to go. Now!”, and then walked away.
           
             The whole time I had been standing there trying to interrupt because, I had a feeling that would only make matters worse. Once the old woman had left I looked at the girl and asked, “What was that about? Why’s she so upset?”
           
            “Please don’t worry about that,” she said, “Here. This is your room key.” She handed me a key with a tag with the number 24 on it, I assumed that was my room number.
            
             “Thanks.” I replied.
           
              “Your room is on the second floor, I’ve already had your bags sent up,” she explained, “Please, my name is Miwako, Come to me if there is anything you need.”
            
               Thank goodness! It felt good to finally know someone’s name! Odd… I hadn’t seen anyone come in to take my luggage. I guess I was wrapped up in that argument earlier.
            
            “You grandmother seemed very upset about the portrait breaking,” I noted.
            
            “It’s no big deal. She thinks it’s a bad sign that the portrait fell from the wall.”
            
            “Why’s that?”
            
            “It’s a very… special portrait. It’s one of the two remaining images of my mother and it was taken shortly before… It’s one of my grandmother’s favorite portraits,” She explained… sort of. I could tell the subject hit hard so I didn’t push it.
            
            Suddenly my attention was drawn to a strange noise on the other side of the desk. It was a kind of strange whirring sound.
            
            “Is that a robotic cat?!” I asked, fascinated.
            
             The tired look melted from Miwako’s face and was replaced with a big, gleaming smile!
            
            “Yeah! Suki! Isn’t she the greatest? Rentaro got her for me. I;ve wanted my own pet cat for forever, but I can’t have one at the ryokan. I came into work one day, and there she was, right next to the sweetest note from Rentaro!”
            
            “I’ve never seen a robotic cat before! What does it do?”
            
             Miwako’s smiles faded slightly and she said, “She’s not and it –she’s Suki!,” she turned to face Suki, “It’s ok, she didn’t mean it,” She cooed to the cat. She turned back to me and told me, “she doesn’t do much, mainly sits – but – oh wait, I just learned something neat!” She turned back to face the cat. “Suki: Tate!”
            
            Suki sat on her hind legs, raised her paws, and tilted her head. It was so cute!
            
            “That was so cute! She’s really great!” I told Miwako.
            
            “That’s all I remember right now, but she can do a lot more. I should figure out what the rest of the commands are, come to think of it. Although to be honest, it’s a little more believable if she just does what she wants.”
           
            “I’ll talk to you later,” I said. I didn’t want to bother her anymore.
            
            “ok, see ya,” she said with a smile.
            
            Falling portraits and a robot cat. This evening has certainly been interesting so far…


No comments:

Post a Comment